This article provides the steps to install VMware Tools in an Ubuntu virtual machine.
1. Mount the corresponding ISO file and login to the virtual machine using administrator or root credentials.
2. In the VM console, select VM-> Guest -> Install/Upgrade VMware tools.
3. A pop-up windows would be triggered on the Ubuntu desktop with the files similar to VMwareTools.x.x.x-xxxx.tar.gz.
4. Click Extract to, and select the Ubuntu Desktop to save the extracted contents. The vmware-tools-distrib folder is extracted to the Ubuntu Desktop.
5. To install VMware Tools in Ubuntu: Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. In Terminal, run this command to navigate to the vmware-tools-distrib folder.
6. Run this command to install VMware Tools:
sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d
Note: The -d switch assumes that you want to accept the defaults. If you do not use -d, press Return to accept the defaults or supply your own answers.
7. Enter your Ubuntu password. Restart the Ubuntu virtual machine after the VMware Tools installation completes.